fredag 1. februar 2013

Help, I am a drone pilot

This Xmas I was visiting Boston and NY. As Xmas gift I bought myself a new toy, a drone. In USA this toy cost me $299 while in Norway it would set me back 3000 kr, an easy choice to buy it there when the exchange rate is 5.5 kr/$.  

AR Drone 2.0

AR Drone 2.0 from Parrot is a small quad-copter you can fly with your ipad, iphone, android device. For extra fun this thing has two on-board cameras to film your voyages and stream them right back to your ipad while flying them.

First test flight

I downloaded the FreeFlight app on my ipad. I open the box and charged the battery. Easy to open and install the battery, then put on the indoor hull, because I will try flying this thing in my cousins garage. The indoor hull has an outer ring to stop it from hitting things with the propellers, but for outside this would be too big and catch the wind too easily.
With my ipad's wireless networks I find the ARDrone as an access point. I start the FreeFlight app, press Piloting and then "Take-off" and like magic it flies in a foot's height, awaiting my next commands. I turn it around and watch myself being filmed, in 720p HD, wow a really nice clear picture actually. Not just me I mean, but the quality of the recordings. I could imagine someone would use this to spy on neighbors, not me of course. Then I fly a little back and forth. It has a built-in proximity sensor to accurately control the altitude so this is easy to fly just pressing the controls up and down. Then I double-click the controller to make a flip which it does but hits the ground at the end of the flip. It detects the crash and does an emergency shutdown. I walk over and put it in the middle of the garage floor and then press "take-off" and it resumes flying. After approximately 7 minutes of flying the batteries are down to 10% and I take it inside to charge the batteries.

Flying outdoors

There's the picture of me enjoying outdoor flight, but enough for now, more about the drone later...

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar